Monday, May 17, 2010

Back To The Grindstone

And I don't mean Charlie's. Hopefully you all have heard of Grindstone Charlie's and will get that joke. No, I don't work there. I just thought it was funny when I wrote it, but I guess it isn't funny if you have to explain it. There I go a rambling....

I am out of the sick bed and back to work. I admit it was nice to sleep for practically three days straight, it was however not pleasant to be sick while doing it. It ended up that I had strep throat. Thanks to anti-biotic's, rest and a wonderful co-worker, I am back on my feet again. Literally.

Sickness in the food industry is dangerous. We as servers and cooks can really have an effect on whether or not you get sick. Now I am not trying to imply that we will intentionally get you sick. No, only vile and disgusting servers, who in my opinion should not be serving, will intentionally make you ill. I am referring to the fact that we handle the food. All of it. From your lemon in that water we hate to see, to the cheese that is sprinkled so nicely on your salad. Personally, I wash my hands so many times a day, that sometimes I wonder how I have any skin left on them.

The real kicker I have found is that when an employee is sick, the management practically begs them to come to work. I have seen managers let extremely ill people, hoped up on medication like Zicam and Sucrets work. Oh, you wouldn't know it. They can look so fun and lively at your table, but in the back they are whining and complaining that they are sick. I will let you in on a little secret. Managers are chickens. Look under their uniforms and you will see feathers. Not kidding. They are so afraid to run with a shorter staff of servers. So afraid that the store will fill up and that the servers heads will spin like tops, that they will run with three people more then they need to avoid actually having to help out. If you doubt me in anyway. Ask a server sometime. Any server. Say, "Hey, does your manager ever have too many servers on the floor at a time?" First off, you will shock the server, second they will recover long enough to answer, "Unfortunately all the time."

Sad part is, why the manager gets a guaranteed paid amount, it effects the server directly. Got to go, I do believe I just heard clucking.

No comments: